Cable Assembly & Wire Harness Modifications Specialist - Plymouth, MN
June 3, 2021
Cable Assembly & Wire Harness Modifications Specialist
Plymouth, MN, US
Two year technical degree, or equivalent experience, and 1-2 years’ harness experience required. Takes initiative and can independently handle moderately complex projects. A strong understanding of electronic and mechanical skills is needed. Skills in specialized and standard computer applications required such as Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Must possess good people and communication skills and have the ability to be a self-starter and handle multiple tasks. Must possess a basic operations of all Automated and Semi-Automated Machines (Cutting Machines, Crimping Machines, Hot Melt Molding Machines, etc.) on the Production floor.
Perform functions to provide technical support in identifying root cause of harness failures as it relates to testing, processing, and Harness specifications. Perform rework of failed harnesses and harnesses in-process that need rework.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Helps diagnose and rework harnesses within warranties. Documents errors as well as root cause.
2. Rework, and/or establish a process for rework, of harnesses in-process to finish up production orders.
3. Write and process Engineering Change Orders (ECO) and evaluate the details of the ECO. This includes making suggestions to Process and Development Engineers and working directly with Configuration to complete all related tasks on the ECO. This would include detailing all aspects of why an ECO is needed and determining the course of action for related products and communicating these tasks to all necessary groups.
4. Verify and modify work instructions for active items if updates are needed via ECO. This may include working with Drafting, Configuration, Process and Development Engineering, Project Engineering, Harness Design Technician and Testing.
5. Perform basic time studies for new Item Development, and verification of routing times entered in SAP, and other Production related projects.
6. Train, assist and support the production team with new or existing processes, equipment, and tooling. Communicate with the team for ways to continually improve the manufacturing processes. Answer technical questions regarding production methods and work instructions.
7. Support Production as needed for technical questions.
8. Works closely with the Test Group. Act as the go-to person for Test questions for the Harness Group. And will work closely with Cirris Test Equipment.
9. Understand basic operations of all Automated and Semi-Automated Machines (Cutting Machines, Crimping Machines, Molding Machines, etc.) on the production floor. Will support Production by setting up tooling which includes (but not limited to) strip-crimp machines, cable/wire processing, labeling, welding/auto-splice machines, braiding.
10. Answer technical questions regarding raw materials.
11. Communicate any continuous improvement suggestions to engineering and/or leadership for consideration
12. Assist Production as necessary for complex builds
13. Follow safety rules and keep work areas/tools in a clean and orderly condition through the practice of 5’s.
14. Perform other related duties as assigned