Manufacturing Engineer- Plastic Injection Molding - MN
March 11, 2022
Mfg Engineer - Plastic Injection Molding
Plymouth, MN, US
BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field, or a technical degree with 3+ years’ work experience.
Preferred to have hands-on engineering knowledge of plastic injection molding including part manufacturability, processing and tooling design. Must have ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Perform injection molding-related functions to assist in the manufacturing of existing products and the development of new products. Interacts with all divisions of Manufacturing and Development including Production, Manufacturing Engineering, Product Development, Tool Room, Quality, Purchasing, Product Management, and Maintenance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides plastic injection molding technical support to address and resolve any manufacturing and process issues including, but not limited to:
- Leads and/or participates in continuous improvement activities targeted to facilitate improvements in quality, productivity, and safety; and reductions in scrap and machine downtime.
- Provides guidance to Molding Technician(s) and Lead Molding Machine Operator(s) ensuring appropriate and timely direction and training.
- Conducts initial injection molding samples to verify internal process and mold capabilities.
- Establishes and maintains injection molding process control and capability for all molds.
- Determines the necessary documentation for start-up and production, and facilitates the creation of manufacturing documents.
- Responsible for the specification, procurement, and coordination of installation/start-up of new equipment.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts regarding samples and production orders. Streamlines orders when needed to improve production efficiency.
- Participates in review and approval of product designs, drawings, tooling, and material selection.
- Performs FEA (Finite Element Analysis) plastic flow analysis and makes product recommendations based on results.
- Evaluates and offers key design inputs regarding post-molding parts handling systems.
- Provides Design for Manufacturability feedback on new mold designs and modifications.
- Works with the Tool Room for mold repair and maintenance.
- Manages projects related to new injection mold builds and modifications for production.
- Compiles data and analyzes past and current information in order to assist in the preparation of budgets.
- Develops the criteria for in-line inspection, SPC (Statistical Process Control) charting, and First Article Inspections.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.